Wednesday, December 16, 2020

eBay user trudy14410 & Burroughs B20? Boot Disk - John Mulac

See Also: BURROUGHS/UNISYS BTOS B25 TAPE CARTR. W/8.0 MULTIUSER,EMULTI,ISAM,SWP4,GAMES

eBay - trudy14410 <trudy1_jwnb6255raf@members.ebay.com>

Sep 3, 2019, 12:43 PM - eBay

New message from: trudy14410 (565Purple Star)

I am sending you a boot disk that can be used to initialize the hard drive. The parameter sheet is also enclosed for the different size drives. Most of the parameters for the size of the operating system have a default size but if you want more room for the system image, you can change it during the initialize and format of the disk. Remember that any data on the disk will be lost unless you can copy it off before initializing. Most of the MFM disks seem to lose it's magnetic retentivity after 2 - 3 years and have to be reformatted. At least that is my experience. Floppies can also lose theirs too, so I hope that my disk is still usable. I have included a 5-1/4 cleaning disk that you can use 91% isopropol alcohol to wet the windows slightly for cleaning. Let alcohol evaporate before using!

Hope it works!!! John Mulac

PS If you have a working QIC drive, I have 60MB tape cartridges with 8.0 operating systems on them to restore to your drives for $50 - Thanks


Previous message

Trudy, again, extremely great to hear from you, and no apology needed!

Your assistance is very generous, and I appreciate it very much. I would love to accept your offer and try out a boot disk from you. You can send to:

<<<<my address>>>>

I am happy to cover shipping, and/or send a pre-paid shipping label for you to fix and apply, just let me know how to email you that label if you like, or attach it here to eBay as a photo for you to print and apply, etc. But let me know on that.

Interesting that you mention 60Mb QIC cartridges. I've done some rather extensive work restoring and reading cartridges like this, and have published the majority of my work on this at http://QICreader.com , and I do indeed address topics like rollers turning to goo, sticky shed syndrome, tension band failure/replacement, etc. This all as a part of my Universal QIC tape reader system (and I did indeed design it around the older 60Mb QIC cartridges.

So, a QIC cartridge is also a media that I am very comfortable with, and would love to restore and/or archive, if given the opportunity.

Again, I really appreciate your helpful offers here, and hopefully, this can lead to getting the first AWS hardware to boot in god knows how many years or decades...

Thanks again, best always,


trudy14410:

If you send me your address I will send you a boot disk to try. I have no systems left to copy disks on I do have 60 MB QIC tapes with 8.0 BTOS op systems on them but the QIC units have a tendency to have the pinch rollers soften and become unusable. I had some units that I rebuilt with new pinch roller but sold them long ago. If you could find and uyt a QIC module, I have boot disks that could be used to recover BTOS. Sorry I am so late in responding...

Your previous message

Wow, thank you SO much for your response!

No apology necessary, as I don't perceive any misinformation here, but thank you so much for clarifying!

I'd be interested in copies of your disks to boot B26 systems, just in case they are possibly backwards compatible (or at least partially, or I can make them compatible, etc...)

Worst case, I DO have Convergent NGEN hardware also, which should take those.

The AWS hardware that I'm working with most definitely has the 8086 processors.

I am very appreciative that you remember as much as you do on these systems. I fully realize that this was 35-40 years ago when these systems were current, so I'm so glad that you still have (and are selling) these resources!

Please let me know what you list in this area, so I can check it out.

Best always,

AJ

trudy14410:

I have very little left of the early B20 stuff from 1982 when I started working on the AWS B20 systems. The original Btos was 4.0, then 5.0 then the B26 came out. The AWS used the 8086 chip and the B26 used the 80186, then the B28 used the 80286 wherein the processor speed also increased on each new model. Some of the utilities were compatible and there was a mix of models used as cluster stations using BTOS 8.0 so that the customers could still use the older AWS and IWS as cluster stations. I recently sold my install disks for 8.0 but still have a few disk copies to boot B26 systems, not AWS. I will be listing some of the books and floppy disks that I still have. Thanks for your interest! I apologize for any misinformation that I might give you in error as I am now 81 years young and haven't worked on BTOS for quite a number of years. Good luck on getting the AWS working!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

eBay - trudy14410 <trudy1_jwnb6255raf@members.ebay.com>
Sat, Mar 25, 2017, 7:30 PM
to chetwyndplace

New message: I have been a servicing Burroughs/Uni...
 
New message from: trudy14410 (419Turquoise Star)
I have been a servicing Burroughs/Unisys electronic tech since 1982 and have been selling and servicing the B20 computers since the AWS model was released in 1982. The later model B25 replaced the earlier system with a faster processor and more power and features, with both hardware and software features. This cable is from excess used inventory. John Mulac




No comments:

Post a Comment